By @StefanKubus –
The 2017 ECHL All-Star Classic roster was unveiled Tuesday afternoon, and eight Michigan connections made the team.
The ECHL All-Star team will take on host Adirondack Thunder in a unique format featuring 5-on-5, 4-on-4, and 3-on-3 play, along with a skills competition (Puck Relay, Hardest Shot, Fastest Skater).
Two Michigan connections were voted as starters: Tulsa Oilers goaltender Jamie Phillips (Michigan Tech alum) and Fort Wayne Komets forward Shawn Szydlowski (St. Clair Shores native).
Phillips leads all ECHL goaltenders with 18 wins, 1,572 minutes played and 745 saves. He also leads rookie netminders – while ranking seventh overall – with a 2.52 goals-against average.
Szydlowski is tied for second in league scoring with 45 points – 19 goals and 25 assists – and ranks fourth with 14 power-play points.
The rest of the list is below:
- John McCarron – F – Florida Everblades – Macomb native
- Jacob MacDonald – D – Toledo Walleye – Brighton native
- Travis Walsh – D – Idaho Steelheads – Haslett native, Michigan State alum
- C.J. Motte – G – Quad City Mallards – St. Clair native, Ferris State alum
- Justin Buzzeo – F – Atlanta Gladiators – Ferris State alum
Michigan State alum and Kalamazoo Wings forward Tanner Sorenson was also named an alternate for the team.
The game will be aired on NHL Network Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017, at 8 p.m. from the Glens Falls Civic Center in New York.